Thursday, June 24, 2010

Fright Night Redux


As you may or may not know, I'm a huge fan of Tom Holland's 1985 cult horror classic Fright Night. In fact, I'm fairly certain that I like this movie more than any person on the planet ever has. In my opinion, it's an extraordinarily well crafted and immensely entertaining film.
When I found out that there was a remake planned for 2011, I didn't react with much enthusiasm. Don't get me wrong... I'm not some Fright Night fundamentalist, who thinks even the thought of a remake is blasphemy, but I immediately suspected it would be at the least a mediocre film.
It could very well be a bad film, but I'm becoming increasingly interested in it. For starters, it's being directed by Craig Gillespie, who also helmed the acclaimed Lars and the Real Girl (of course, he also directed the significantly less acclaimed Mr. Woodcock); and the film was being written by Marti Noxon, a writer for Mad Men.
The casting looks solid as well. Anton Yelchin will be playing Charlie Brewster and although I'm not in awe of his talents, he could be right for this part. In addition, Christopher Mintz-Plasse is playing Evil Ed, Imogen Poots from 28 Weeks Later is playing Amy, Toni Collette is playing Charlie's mom, and David Tennant of Doctor Who fame is playing Peter Vincent.
But the best casting choice by far has been for the enigmatic vampire neighbor Jerry Dandridge:
COLIN FARREL.
Listen, by no means do I think casting Colin Farrel guarantees success, but I when I saw this casting decision it instantly made sense to me. I think he could be very successful in this role.
I read a review on the script, and I must admit the new plot does seem contrived. It involves Charlie becoming a newly popular high school student and alienating his friends. Peter Vincent is no longer a cheesy television personality, but is instead a Las Vegas showman of sorts? What?
We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment