Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Early thoughts on LSU

I saw the results of LSU's spring game on the university's website and I really don't know what to think of the upcoming season. The team has been inconsistent ever since the 2007 Championship. I chalked up 2008's disappointing campaign to the obvious reason: no Ryan Perriloux, but although we improved in 2009, particularly on defense, things weren't much better. In fact, in terms of the running game things were worse. At times, Jordan Jefferson acquitted himself well at the quarterback position, at others I was actually wondering if Jarret Lee wouldn't be a better starter. This was mainly when Jefferson was getting sacked constantly because he never got rid of the ball under pressure--say what you will about Lee, but he was never shy about getting rid of the ball.

So, one would think that Jordan Jefferson would be coming into this season the best he's ever been. Here are his numbers from the spring game: 8 of 23 for 94 yards and an interception. That doesn't look like improvement to me, and this is a SPRING GAME! I have to say, though, I am more optimistic about our running game this year. Steven Ridley will probably be a good go-to guy and apparently Michael Ford has the skills to get a lot of touches as a redshirt freshman. Also, Russel Shephard did more in this spring game than it seemed he did all of last season (what exactly was the thinking on removing Shephard's redshirt and then using him so little!)

As much as I don't know what to make of LSU next year, I think the SEC West in general is just as unpredictable. Alabama will obviously great, but just how much better will Arkansas and Auburn me.

Some say Les Miles might be on the hotseat and I agree, and I just don't know if the current coaching arrangement is going to get LSU to the SEC championship game. For one, after last year's abysmal offensive showing why wasn't Gary Crowton fired? The team did bring Florida wide receiver's coach Billy Gonzales to be the "passing game coordinator", but I am much less heartened by this news than others. I don't know think bringing the wide receiver's coach from Florida is going to be a large enough move to get our offense where it needs to be.

That being said, I think the defense this year may be as good as it's been in a very long time. All the pieces are in place for us to be a real lock-down unit. And let's be honest, for as inconsistent as LSU was last year, they still won 9 games in the regular season. It stands to reason that if we're improved, that our record will improve. There is one problem: We're playing a top ten schedule this year, with games against North Carolina and West Virginia out of conference. Also, we have to go to Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas. Luckily, we get Alabama at home. And that game is perhaps the real test. No amount of coach shuffling is going to matter if LSU can't beat Alabama (as we haven't for the last two years, though the games have been close). Alabama has clearly replaced LSU as the preeminent team in the SEC West and I have a feeling Nick Saban is going to keep them there for a while. Now whether or not Alabama is forced to share the SEC West is up to LSU, and possibly Auburn (hell, possibly Arkansas). It isn't a good sign that Alabama has gone undefeated against the SEC West for the last two years. I absolutely believe we can beat Alabama (we almost did it in 2008 with our worst team in years).

1 comment:

  1. Expect Mallet to start playing like a top draft pick on an improved Arkansas team. I'm scared of him

    ReplyDelete