Wednesday, February 17, 2010

NCAA Basketball con't

Other mid-majors to watch out for

In my opinion, the mid major to watch besides Temple is BYU. They have a great scoring leader and distributor in Jimmer Fredette, and this team is simply used to winning. They've reached 25 victories three years in a row. BYU has been narrowly bounced out of the NCAA tournament threes now and I think they're finally ready to make a run.

Also, keep an eye on Richmond from the Atlantic 10. They might be playing the best basketball in the Atlantic 10 right now and they've more than held their own against major conference competition.

Major Conference Teams Under the Radar

Wisconsin: They're ranked in the top twenty five right now but Purdue, Michigan State and Ohio State have been getting all the attention. However, other than Purdue I think this might be the Big Ten team to make a splash. They're a great shooting team that's playing better defense this year. Don't forget, they made some noise last year as a 12 seed and they've only gotten better.

Texas A&M: The Aggies are a great shooting team and they have recent tournament experience. Their record doesn't necessarily bear out that they can beat anyone, but I think they have a good shot against anyone.

Good Teams I Don't Like

Duke: Coach K's team hasn't done much to improve my perception of them this year besides the fact that they've thoroughly dominated a down ACC. They're not athletic enough and still rely too much on hot perimeter shooting. I forsee another sweet sixteen upset.

Georgetown: The Hoyas are balanced scoring team, but where did they come from this year? I don't see this team going from missing a tournament bid last year to making a deep run in the tournament.

Gonzaga: I'm not awed by their guard attack this year. Reputation and a dominating a weak West Coast Conference have lead to their top fifteen ranking.

Tennessee: Besides Wayne Chisum I don't think this team has the firepower this year.

Pittsburgh: Pitt is on the rise right now but I don't see their grind-it-out style taking them very far.

No comments:

Post a Comment