Friday, June 26, 2009

Short Script

https://cas.uno.edu/owa/attachment.ashx?attach=1&id=RgAAAACoH9ZdmfIaR5zU2b7w507hBwDF7dXGC04HQb3qK6Ie7VRXAAAEDmyuAAC1hv%2fpym5rS5RPGIsvbY5KAFFhax2%2bAAAJ&attid0=EADN1nnYlEffToVQlUW0YrVc&attcnt=1

Hey all. This is incredibly long internet address I've posted is a link to a recenlty completed short film script of mine. It's called M.I.A. Nation and deals with a young Iraq War veteran who's just returned home. If any of you are interested in reading it, I'd appreciate your thoughts as I'm just now beginning the rewriting phase

By the way, if you get a username and password promt to open the file, here it is:
username: aaaron
password: ObamaPartisan1894 (I know, cliche for me).

In other news, I just completed my articles for a second issue of the CClagniappe. Like I said in an earlier post, one of them is a fairly straightforward write-up on the Baton Rouge Capitals, the city's minor league soccer team (don't beat yourself up if you hadn't heard of them, I hadn't heard of them until I interviewed them), and the second was a somewhat broader-based article on the State Legislature debating whether or not raise the tax credits they give to film production from 25% to 30%. My understanding is that the legislature finally agreed on a bill and now it's up to Governor Jindal to sign the bill into law.

Regarding, the film story, I just want to say I definitely think it's essential to increase the film production tax credit to 30% so the state can remain competetive in attracting a large number of productions. Right now places like Georgia, Michigan, and New Mexico are all providing more aggressive incentives to filmmakers and their production load is increasing while Louisiana's is starting to dwindle. I'm not trying to be an alarmist here, because to my knowledge the bill that has just gone to Governor Jindal's desk will be expeditiously signed into law. However, it's important to point out that in 2007 the film industry accounted for 763 million dollars of spending in the state and we can't afford to lose that. That being said, I did speak to a State Senator, Joe McPherson, who I thought I made a compelling argument for why not to raise the tax credit rate. His point was that the state was starting to dramatically reduce spending in health care and higher education because of the budget shortfall and it seemed to unfair to single out the film industry for additional incentives. I respect his opinion on this, mainly because recent higher education funding cuts bother me as well, but personally I think the film industry is such a tremendous cash cow that the economic benefits outweigh those concerns.

Of course, I'm a film student, so I have a vested interest... so, take my words with a grain of salt.

4 comments:

  1. When you say "you know how people look at restaurants", I know, but maybe not everyone has been outside this year.. Is gary supposed to be played by someone who only faintly looks arab? Or is that irrelevent? I really like the script, but the second usage of the word CUNT was lost on me, though it could just be rephrased with the same intensity. I like reading this, it's a lot more action packed than Molisa. Keep them coming, A-bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the input, Andrew. Those were all definitely goog points that I'll take under advisement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The idea, although not new, has many options of where it can go. The problem with this story is that Daniel is over-dramatic. The first scene is great and one can't help, but feel sympathy for him. Once he slams his fist against the table in the diner, I'm just taken out of it. The instances of crying and the physical conflict with Gary just seems like the story is trying too hard to push the point.

    I think what may be the problem with that is the length. It needs more meat in order to make those situations stronger and not overbearing. Other than that, the interview hits everything right and you have potential with where this can go.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your thoughts. You brought up some interesting points. I look back at Daniel's behavior in some of the scenes and see if it's too extreme.

    ReplyDelete