Saturday, May 30, 2009

Top 100 Films

Anyone who knows me well knows that I'm crazy lister, particularly with films. Recently, I've started restructuring my top 100 films of all time. I have some very firm beliefs when it comes to these kinds of lists. First, I don't separate my favorite films and the films I consider to be the best, which is a distinction that I know other people make. Rest assured, if you're one of the many that does this, I think that it's perfectly fine. The reason I personally don't make such distinctions is because I think there is too much of a perceived gap between popular cinema and art house cinema. Anyway, here's where I am so far with my restructured list:

1. JFK (1991, dir. Oliver Stone)

2. Rear Window (1954, dir. Alfred Hitchcock)

3. Schindler's List (1993, dir. Steven Spielberg)

4. Children of Men (2006, dir. Alfonso Cuaron)

5. The Insider (1999, dir. Michael Mann)

6. Blue Velvet (1986, dir. David Lynch)

7. Lord of the Rings: Fellowship (2001, dir. Peter Jackson)*
-Just another note... I don't believe in grouping together trilogies as a single unit. I see this
happen frequently with the Lord of the Rings films, and while I understand the inclination to
consider the films as a singular statement, I can't agree putting them all together. It's not a
single film. There are important differences between each that have be acknowledged.

8. The Verdict (1982, dir. Sidney Lumet)

9. Psycho (1960, dir. Alfred Hitchock)

10. Hannah and Her Sisters (1986, dir. Woody Allen)

2 comments:

  1. I remember when I thought that your film list journal was really a secret diary that you wrote all of your lovey feelings in. Is still believe it.

    Also, when are you going to blog about your bday? I want to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I don't separate my favorite films and the films I consider to be the best, which is a distinction that I know other people make."

    I can only hope you were referring to me, Alex, because I know we've had this argument.

    I can say, however, that I totally agree with you about grouping series, trilogies, ect together as one. That ain't right. I mean, the Harry Potter films aren't even all done by the same person!

    That is all.

    ReplyDelete